Tuesday 4 May 2010

Christchurch discoveries






I had a couple of days to fill in in Christchurch

These are photos of just some of the stuff I found while waiting for my new home to be ready to drive off in.

Tile designer, Sally Griggs, works from a little studio with a window to Peterborough St. She told me she trained as a rug designer, but has now moved from textiles to ceramics. She screen prints an outline to each tile, and then applies colours by hand. The glaze is fired for 4 days. She usually works to commission, often custom-designing to suit someone's home. I bought three of the over-run tiles at $1 each. I could have taken so many more had I anywhere to put them.

Ages ago I spotted a magazine piece about a shop called Bolt of Cloth, so in the afternoon I set off for Madras Street.

Bolt of Cloth stock a range of commercially produced fabrics I recognized - Florence Broadhurst, Amy Butler, Marimekko. There were also hand printed fabrics by Ingrid Anderson, Ink&Spindle, and others. I really want to pull up in the new motorhome tomorrow morning and get them to sew me new curtains, squabs and cushion covers in bright turquoise, pink, lime green and purples. I love this shop.

In Victoria Street, there is a place that sells something I’d just love to have for my studio when I get settled again. They are dresses like we used to make for cut-out-dolls, but life-size, and they are exquisitely cut and folded from maps.

The yarns are from the window display in the Hands Craft Shop in Norman Rd, Elmwood. Just as well there are a couple of coffee shops in the block. I spent so much time browsing the books and picking some threads that I needed more than one refreshment interlude.



No comments:

Post a Comment